Sunday, May 8, 2016

Love Song

I used to think love was bull crap.
I mean, after watching my parents divorce
and my grandparents divorce
and my dads fiancée of two years leave,
I started to think that marriage was
doomed to fail no matter what.
Love didn't seem real to me.
Love meant "for now."
"For now" is relative.
"For now" can mean for the next hour,
or the next ten years.
I didn't want to get married.
I told myself all kinds of things
about love to try to block myself out of it.
I didn't love myself, no one would ever love me,
Blah, blah blah, blah blah.
But guess what, love is real and powerful
and it is everywhere.
I love my neighbors, my friends, my team,
my coaches, and my YW leaders.
I love my family so much, my heart feels full.
I love God.
And when I felt that much love for others,
I started working on feeling it for myself.
I started watching good examples like
my mom and Richard,
or my step grandparents.
There is hope in everything,
I just needed to look for it.
And now I want to get married,
But not in my first year of college.

1 comment: