Sunday, March 20, 2016

Haunnah

When I was 12, I had a friend named Haunnah. She was one of my favorite people to spend time with. Haunnah had severe scoliosis. It was so bad her legs would go numb and she would walk with a slight limp. She was planning to get surgery to correct the "S" curve in her spine. Unfortunately, at this point in our lives, we didn't see too much of each other, as my dad had stopped dating her mom.

I remember riding in the car with my dad. The grass was green and the air was warm as we pulled into the neighborhood. He gave me a detailed update on Haunnah's surgery, the epidural and how she would pass out because the pain was unbearable.

Thus my phobia of needles, IV's and shots began.

Picturing my sweet, 11 year old friend in so much pain was awful. My young mind associated needles with pain and heartbreak. To this day,  I cry when I get a shot, when I get my blood tested and the one time I went to the ER and had to get an IV. I hate the idea that something can be put in - or taken out of my blood stream at any given moment. No bueno.

I'm afraid of many things. However, I try my best to not let them hold me back. Most things I can manage with a little bit of work. But needles are a different story. It is a fear I am hoping to overcome. I was blessed with a healthy body, and one day I want to be able to donate blood. I don't know how or when, but one day I will.

I haven't seen Haunnah in over five years. I hope she is healthy and happy and shining. I miss her.

2 comments:

  1. This was important to read. There's entire stories behind everyones fears and this post shows that. A great reminder. This was so sweet and genuine and lovely. You are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're the sweetest and the kindest and i love you

    ReplyDelete